Making where we live better, whatever it takes.
The Community Service Committee is the “heartbeat of Rotary”, encompassing all the activities that Rotarians undertake to improve the quality of life for people within Poulsbo and surrounding communities. We provide funding for other organizations and complete hands-on projects of our own.
The Community Service Committee gave a check to The Coffee Oasis for $2942 to pay for paint and help with the refurbishing of the Café. Rotarians will also participate in work parties to contribute to the project. Thanks also to Ray Donahue of Peninsula Paint for his very generous donations!
Trashy Task Force
The Trashy Task Force is a community service effort to collect and dispose of plastic trash in our community. Our club has organized trash round up events, worked with local schools to collect and dispose of plastic waste, and worked with other organizations in our community.
The Community Service Committee recently worked with Fishline on their refrigeration needs. Covid-19 changed their mode of operation; they couldn’t have open food for drive up customers and instead had to distribute in pre-packed boxes. The Poulsbo Rotary Foundation provided $2450 of the $11k needed for them to purchase an Air curtain cooler, which allowed easy access for workers to pass out refrigerated food in the drive through distribution line.
Community Service has an annual budget of about $25,000 to support projects and organizations in the Poulsbo community. Beyond that, Rotarians also support the community and its organizations through hands on efforts. Here is a partial list of activities and projects of the Community Service Committee:
- Sponsored Poulsbo community orchestra
- Kids Helping Kids (hospital visits during Christmas and Easter)
- $4,500 Backpacks to foster care kids
- Work parties – new and recurring (Poulsbo cemetery, Fish Park, Morrow Manor)
- ADA park development (Play for All)
- Eagle Scout project support
- Gold Star project – positivity tent. Poulsbo Mayor Becky Erickson wants this to be an annual event
- Funds for Poulsbo Historical Society for AV equipment
- Purchase of AEDs (defibrillators) to install 2 more at locations in Poulsbo with public access and good foot traffic
Apply for a Grant
If your organization would like to work with or request community service funding support from Poulsbo Rotary, please download our guidelines and grant application form below.